15 September 2006

School killings: I don't understand it.

I'm having trouble understanding the latest reports of a school shooting spree in Montreal and a thwarted plan in Michigan.

I wasn't the happiest kid at school when I was growing up, still don't know why, but I don't think anything like this ever crossed my mind. It just seems so extreme, so final and I'm having trouble figuring out why such a thing occurs.

People blame video games, music and such things but I don't think it is justified to do such a thing. The reason I say this is because music, be it metal, rap, goth or what have you, does not drive people to take action. It may support someone's mood or allow them to relate, in some way, to a set of lyrics... but I cannot believe that listening to any type of music would drive someone to action.

Video games fall into the same level. They are interactive and create an outlet for certain feelings but with all the millions of people who play first person shooters and games like the Grand Theft Auto series, it is silly to blame the game, or it's creators, for the actions a person takes in real life.

I'm not sure what to think of the people who blame music and games either. On one hand I think they are desperate to find something or someone to blame for the deaths, but it seems short-sighted to try and affix blame to inanimate objects. I mean, maybe these kids were just screwed up. Has anyone considered that? I mean, it takes a pretty damn screwed up person to decide that it is a good idea to buy a bunch of weapons (be it guns, knives) or build bombs at home and then intentionally deploy them in an assault against defenseless civilians.

I could not possibly begin to wonder what the solution to this sort of issue is, but blaming music or video games is sure to come up soon. I hope people are smart enough not to medicate the problem by blaming these things, and instead look past for more sensible and plausible solutions.

1 Your Opinion:

At 22:00, Anonymous facebook sign up said...

Thanks for the information your article brings. I see the novelty of your writing, I will share it for everyone to read together. I look forward to reading many articles from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home