01 April 2006

Pondering Possible Press Publications Profoundly Perplexing.

Having my project rejected by Roadracing World on Friday, I was feeling a little discouraged. John Ulrich is one of the most open editors to new content and new types of stories, so getting a no from them is a little more of a hit. However, having spoken with Bill and Rock Gal, I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Bill suggested that by establishing strong contacts in 2006, and maintaining those ties through the year, we might find a way to bring a rider to the series in 2007. He hinted at someone with "fewer ties and commitments, someone like John Haner" and I think that's a neat idea. Assisting the orchestration of such a project would be pretty exciting and rewarding, to say the least.

Given my present goals however, I just sent the following letter to three of the top UK magazines.


(Addressed to X magazine),
As an American freelance writer it is not often that I get the chance to cover something truly special. However, I am traveling to Europe mid-April to join Primo Racing as a volunteer mechanic on their World Endurance Championship team at the first two rounds of the 2006 championship season. I am arriving in Brussels just in time to join the team on their drive to The Netherlands to take part in the Assen 500K before we make the trek to Le Mans for the 24 Hour Moto event.

I would like to offer (magazine X) a(n exclusive) story covering the event from inside a private team, Primo Racing, at both rounds of the championship. I will be traveling, eating, sleeping and working with the team for over two weeks, the extent of my available holiday time from my employer here in the States. To further this project I have been in touch with many other teams and have been granted interviews with other concerns competing in the championship. Diablo666 and Terry Rymer have invited me to their pit for several interviews, as have their sister team Bolliger. PhaseOne and Shell Advance have also been in contact, and many other possibilities are presenting themselves daily. On top of this, FGSport have granted me full press credentials at both Assen and Le Mans, and access to professional photographers will be excessive as series photographer Martin Gelder has been in touch to offer such an opportunity. Seeing as how I will likely be the only American in the paddock at both rounds, Roger Bennett at Eurosport has contacted me regarding several on-air interviews over Eurosport's radio broadcast during the Le Mans 24H event, an opportunity that is certainly perfect for the mention of a certain magazine for which I could be providing an exciting and engaging story!

If you would enjoy seeing exclusive content from both rounds of the Championship and an insider's view of the World Endurance Championship, as well as interviews with the principals and riders of many top teams, please contact me. I will be in Europe from 12 of April through the 28 of April and also plan on visiting Spa and the Nurburgring aboard a Suzuki GS1200 on loan from Primo Racing after the Le Mans event. I will have my cell phone with me in Europe, but email is probably the most efficient means of contacting me. Your time and attention are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg Sampson
http://gresam.blogspot.com/


The middle paragraph is a bit long and perhaps awkward as such, but there's nothing I can do about it now. With the email now sent to Bike, Performance Bikes and Motorcycle Racer I am left to simply wait for a response, which will hopefully be favorable.

I also sent messages to RubberMag and Crash, two internet based racing news organizations. I will also likely contact Motorsport with content, but they are a small concern and won't have a budget to pay me. Still, it could be a publication and at this point, that is about all that matters.

Outside of motorsport rags I have also written to Budget Travel and another travel rag that I've forgotten... I don't expect responses from either as they tend to concentrate on beach/cruises and outdoor/natural activities respectively. My next hits will be the AMA magazine and AA's in-flight rag, though I'm not too keen on either of those as real opportunities.

I suppose we'll see what happens. With luck I'll find some new contacts while in the press centers at both events. That, alone, could provide me with some serious clout given that I can gain a rapport with people solidly in the business.

On the home front, I have also attempted to contact Jason Pridmore through the Star School website (he rode for PhaseOne back in 2003) and am trying to get in contact with Joe Prussiano, David Estock and Michael Barnes via a variety of message boards from WERA and CCS. It has not been easy.

How else can I open doors?

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home