27 March 2006

Europe: New Developments

Last week I wrote to Miles Hutchins of the Diablo/Bolliger endurance racing team seeking an interview while I was at Assen and Le Mans. He runs a team (Diablo) that has been in the series for at least a few years and has ties to a sister team (Bolliger) that might be closer to a works operation, but I'm not sure.


No problem... be pleased to meet you and introduce you to the team and
our sister team Bolliger. Terry Rymer will be with us and as you know he is an ex world champion motorcycle racer and also world champion endurance rider. He coaches and looks after our team riders

Come and see us. Assen is an odd race as its very hectic on the Saturday and then we have a rest day on the Easter Sunday before the race day Easter Monday. So Sunday will be very leisurely!

Miles


That is excellent news and will certainly make it easier for me to get on the inside of a few more teams. The best time is obviously Sunday when I can sit down with him and the team for a pint. I also had an email this morning, unsolicited, from another gentlemen in Europe...


Greg,

I just read your message about coming to Le Mans on the World Endurance website. I'm a former rider now doing English Language co-commentary for Eurosport, the main free-to-air satellite and cable sports channel in Europe.

We'll be at Le Mans doing several hours of broadcast (to be finalised, but latest schedule shows 10.75 hours). I tend to sort out getting guests ( I speak French & some German) and adding technical info to the main commentators dialogue, and if you'd be up for coming on the shows that would be good.

I'd be interested to know what turned you on to the World Endurance Series, your own experiences in the USA, and of course, on the shows from Le Mans, talk about your experiences there, what you think of the whole thing, and by Sunday morning, what you feel like then!!!

Please email me here rather than via the W.E.C site, you can read more about me & my recent history on my website RogerBennettRacing.com and I've attached a pic of me on a Ducati at the 2004 Macau Grand Prix.

I did race at Daytona a couple of times in the 200 (94 & 95), and rode in the supporting 2-hour Superteams race in 95 with Californian Jeff Stern. We finished second behind Fritz Kling & Nick Ienatsch on their Yamaha 1000.

Anyway, enough for now. Look forward to hearing from you if you're interested.

Cheers, Roger.


Now, rather than being the one attempting to do all the interviewing, I'll be welcomed into the radio booth for an interview! This is getting really interesting and, yes, that makes it all seem just a bit more surreal. Amazing how this whole trip is beginning to morph into a little bit more and a little bit more...

1 Your Opinion:

At 20:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I'll be saying it one day ... "Greg? I knew him way back ... when he was a no body." (pre-interview days) Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home