11 April 2006

Climbing

Rock Gal and I went climbing on Sunday (a few days ago now) and despite my lack of energy about half way through, we both had a great day with some break throughs for each of us.

Rock Gal has discovered that by getting on the smallest, crimpiest and most shit-for-slopers route in the gym she has convinced her psyche that anything large enough to actually put your hand on in later climbs is quite easy. She hopped on a climb on the slab that, as far as I could tell, was covered with holds roughly the size of pencil erasers. While it took quite a bit of effort and heart, she masterfully crept up the route and made some killer moves along the way.

Later, on a route that would normally give her pause and a reason for a take or two, she blasted up like it was nothing. Awesome. She makes me so proud, and full of awe! Basically, having been on all the small stuff, the larger slopers and mid-sized crimpers were a piece of cake. Every hold that had given her pause before was now a bomber hold that required less effort and did not destroy her confidence. What a woman!

As for me... I got to the gym and did a couple of routes but got tired, real tired, very quickly. I nearly fell asleep on the mats and did not foresee myself doing any more climbs. Until... I got a second wind and decided to jump on my favorite route while she waited for one to open up. I flashed up with what Rock Gal tells me was great technique and a flash of confidence. Backsteps and hand placements were more simple, things moved more fluidly and the moves just felt as though they needed to happen. After that I did two more routes (after she motored up a couple of tough ones) and felt tired but good. I wasn't sure were the energy had come from though. Was it the Clif Bar? Who knows. But those last two climbs were pretty smooth and only required one take, as I'd never been on one of the routes before that afternoon.

I'm glad I felt good up there, and I'm moving with more precise footwork.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home