28 December 2005

Xmas Bounty

After sitting in the car for two(ish) days I thought it would be a great idea to go climbing. Given my standing with Stoneworks I figured I'd shoot over there and get in a couple hours worth of bouldering to wear myself down, then fall in bed and sleep for many hours. Then my phone rang with a pleasant surprise; it was Rock Gal. After getting through the normal course of conversation she asked me what I was up to for the evening (I'm going climbing) and told me, flat out, that she was planning on climbing but was mostly just interested in seeing me. Damn, that is cool! I told her she was sweet (which she is) and we decided to meet at Summit for some much needed physical exertion and good company.

Since I cruised home for a surprise Christmas with my family I had a bounty of presents awaiting my arrival in Dallas. My coworkers had stealthily hidden boxes around my cube so it was a bit of an extra surprise to open drawers and find boxes!

At any rate, I am now in possession of a pocket-sized digital camera. Its an HP, 5.2 megapixel and included a photo printer! I'm stoked. My blog will now include photos. Photos of what? I don't know. In all likelihood, it will be quite random.

I left Charlotte at noon on Monday and made it to Jackson, MS with no problem. Traffic was hit and miss but the drive was simple. After getting up early-ish Tuesday morning I got home around 2:30pm and had planned on cleaning up the Nissan, chaning the oil and rotating the tires. It was 82 degrees. Its December.

The wind, however, would quickly change my mind. With leaves and trash being scattered by gusts blowing directly into my garage I decided it was best to leave things alone for the afternoon. Had I popped the drain plug the oil would quickly scatter all over the ground and bottom of the car, so instead I got my haircut, did some quick grocery shopping and ate dinner before receiving her call.

I really enjoy climbing with Rock Gal because she encourages me when I am up on the wall. She has been climbing for 11 years and can totally out climb me, but she doesn't care (nor do I) as long as we're having fun. There's no competition, no assertion that I need to be better than her or feeling that I need to be at her level of climbing. Other people I've climbed with, especially women, feel that they need to make a point of out-doing a guy. I suppose they need to feel like they're proving a point that they are better than us, which I think is annoying and silly. I'd prefer to just have fun climbing, racing, cycling... But I digress.

Rock Gal is a source of constant pats on the back when I am doing things right, and a source of reason when I'm not. When I get stuck, mangling some climb and putting myself into an odd situation, she just calmly tells me to think it out and solve the problem. If I sit back, consider the situation with my footing and my holds, I can (to this point) complete the climb and feel great about doing it. I really enjoy this aspect and it makes the process more fun. I get myself into binds rather often, simply because I'm not thinking 2 holds ahead (much like 2-3 corners ahead in racing) but she helps me keep a level head and remember that I need to just consider the hold, my footing and my goals.

It is a very cool attitude to have, and it is very attractive.

Things went smoothly all night and she made her way up some pretty challenging routes, though it took some real thought and planning to make them smooth. I had fun talking to her about the moves, seeing her contemplate how she would get past certain spots or even arrange her body to utilize the available (and sometimes scarce) array of holds. Again, all very attractive and she doesn't mind my endless questions and complete lack of knowledge.

I see her in a way that I hope some people might see me in regard to racing. I can go to a track, review a map and get a very clear idea of the proper line and possibly even the entry speeds for corners. Give me 10 minutes with that map and I'll have it memorized, then a few laps and I'll begin working out the fastest line in very short order. I can race a track easily and find some wicked places to pass, but it doesn't mean I'll ace it and set a lap record. Instead, I can find my way around the track smoothly and quickly with what seems like very little effort. This is, of course, not the case as it takes quite a bit of experience, concentration and mental olympics to see these things, but it is second nature now.

Rock Gal can, in the same way, look at a route and solve problems about it from the ground. Some things require a bird's eye view on the wall, but she can really plan her moves before the climb and this helps her work efficiently without getting pumped and losing strength too early. Again, all very attractive.

By 10 PM we were both worn out and ready to leave. I was more tired than I thought, but having done four climbs and belayed her a good bit, I was ready to be in bed. We talked about the cross-over of skill sets from sport to sport and how all things really can be related back in the same ways, especially in regard to smooth, flowing movement, concentration and commitment. We walked out, talked about getting together for another climb and I gave her a hug. She took me by surprise (a little) and gave me a kiss (or four) g'night. I'd been trying to figure a way into that all evening but wasn't sure until she took the initiative, so that was a nice way to stop me from thinking so much, which I often do.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home