30 August 2005

My Worldly Concerns

It is really nice when the extent of one's worldly concerns revolve mostly around which hobby or hobbies to pursue more than others. Money is fine, the job is fine... I'm not career oriented so worrying about where my job is headed or which promotion is going to come up next is the furthest thing from my mind. I'm here, I do my job and they seem to like what I'm doing so I can't complain.

Hobbies... I raced karts, cars and motorcycles (at seperate times) for 17 years before finally hanging up the helmet and deciding that there are other things I wish to try my hand at before falling deeper and deeper into debt at the wheel of a car or behind the bars of a motorcycle. I now find myself with a love for exhausting myself physically. Cycling, swimming, running and rock climbing all accomplish this task and since I push myself fairly hard in each I find there is no end to the limitations of my body. I detest giving up and will claw my way up a crag or hammer my way through miles on the bicycle until all usable energy has been tapped and expended.

Skydiving a few weeks ago was an incredible experience and one I would like to repeat, but as it stands I'm now thinking that the costs of entry are roughly equivalent to either paying off my existing debt or building another bicycle... building another bike is certainly a more entertaiing option as it allows me to either evolve my current passion for road riding or expand into mountain or track bikes. Mountain would be more intelligent in the long run as I imagine track events would get boring after a year or two. Building another road bike would also be fun, especially if I went with a carbon or titanium frameset to replace the aluminum Pinarello.

Isn't this great?! While other people worry needlessly about cashflow, career woes and debt consolidation... I through all three to the wind and concentrate almost exclusively on whatever will redice my stress the most and allow me to have the most fun! I'll work until I'm dead but I'll have fun along the way. I hope. Your thoughts?

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home