25 August 2005

Movies

Last week I saw a news story that enlightened startled Americans to the growing realization that the movies being released into theaters, by and large, suck. See, the movie studios are blaming movie theaters for the lack of hard eanred dollars being spent at the theater. This has been going on for months and the movie theater owners finally shot back by letting the productions companies know that this drop in revenue has nothing to do with uncomfortable seating or floors sticky with Coke syrup. No, in fact, the reason for lost revenue is because nearly ever movie being released is an abomonation and an insult.

I could not agree more. It takes a lot for me to go see a movie these days. Actually, it takes a lot for me to sit down with a rented movie, but that's beyond the point. The $8.25 I might spend on a flick is more than 2/3 of a trip to an indoor rock climbing gym. $8.25 will also buy me a Freebird burrito or a fantastic novel at Half Price Books.

The last good movie I saw was Batman Begins. Before that? I don't remember. Maybe Lemony Snickett or something... I honestly cannot remember. Most movies don't intrigue me but Batman Begins caught my attention and I actually saw it twice in the theater. Why? I don't know, something about it just spoke to me and I enjoyed completely. Aside from that I've visited my local cineplex a few times and been sorely disappointed with each and every visit.

If movie moguls want my bucks they're going to have to do better than reviving shitty 70's TV shows and humor so deep in the toilet yet lacking in depth that a 14-year-old finds it repulsive. C'mon folks, you can do better than that... and if you can't, step aside and let someone else do the job.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home