10 December 2005

Leave key under mat

I arrived at the lock & key party a little late on purpose in hopes that more people would be there and less awkward wandering until folks showed. I figured a good strategy would be skipping dinner in hopes of meeting a woman with whom to go eat with afterwards. At 7:45 pm I walked in the front door and found the bar populated by 10 people, 7 of which were 35+ year old men. I signed in and hoped for the best. Bite foods were available, but amounted to assorted cheese cubes and humus.

My first conversation took place with Michelle, a pleasant woman in her mid-30s. She was a little talky, a bit hungry, eager for raffle tickets, about 4 feet tall and nearly as wide. I shouldn't knock anyone for being of any certain body type, but I'm an asshole and I judge people quickly based on their body composition, especially when they are large. Hey, at least I'm honest.

From here out the evening progressed rather predictably. No one else showed up, the woman were old and almost everyone was boring. One guy was an art critic for the FW newspaper, Andrew something... he was somewhat entertaining but had this look and air about him that made me think he was 1) pretentious and 2) forced. I don't know, call it the look in his eyes but I kept expecting him to start laughing like Phyllis Diller.

There was some guy present that was entertaining, I think his name was... no, I can't remember. He was Jewish, he was talkative and a great story teller. Of course, this didn't do me any good.

Tasha was 26 and attractive, but difficult to engage in conversation and ultimately proved to have an annoyinf personality. She reminded me of Roxanne, actually. She just had this sort of aire about her that made me think it was all rather put on, and I don't know... just the way she talked. It wasn't that I didn't like her, well no, that's it exactly. I just flat-out didn't have any way of relating to her.

At 8:15 PM I was ready to leave, but I didn't. I stuck it out until 8:45 PM, at which time I decided to turn in my last key (like I need it) and skip out. This proved more difficult than I anticipated and I ended up having to make up an excuse about getting a phone call. I felt bad for lying but the alternative was to suffer through another forced conversation with someone I had no intention of ever talking to again. Ever.

At this point I got on the phone (no really, I did) and had a conversation with Anita. I needed something to do and figured there was a good chance Childress would be up for a beer and a bite to eat. I was in luck, though he was still enroute from the office.

We ended up meeting at his house, chatted with him and Anita for a spell (always fun) and then went to Fireside Pies for pizza and beer. The evening ended up pretty well but I'm still not the most talky S.O.B. on the planet and relating to Greg can be difficult, seeing as how we're 30 years apart in age. Still, always a fun time.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home