21 June 2006

FIFA World Cup

Up until now I had not said anything about the world's most important sporting event of 2006. It was not out of a lack of intrest or intent on my part, simply ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I have been anticipating the WC for the last couple of months and listen to recap coverage every night on XM148 (and got on the air Monday night) but I really don't know that much about the teams that are competing.

There are all the old staples like Brazil, England and Germany... upstarts like Ecuador, Trinidad-Tobago and the Ukraine... and juggernauts like Argentina, Spain and The Netherlands... and all of this I've learned from XM148.


XM
"Are you a lawyer?"
"Uhm, no. Do you need to sue someone?"
"Well, after tonight's broadcast you never really know."

The guys on XM148, examining the FIFA World Cup exclusively with 24/7 coverage, have a great rapport with each other and their callers, as I found out Monday night. While I must admit that I am a little tired of hearing about how Team USA can improve in X, Y or Z fashion and how we sucked in game one and did well in game 2 aside from the shitty ref-ing (was actually all good calls, I & XM thought) the coverage has been quite good. They answer every caller and address their points positively. Most of the people calling in have had great things to point out and certainly know more about the game, the other teams and the history of the cup than I ever will. So, I refrain from talking about the WC to avoid sounding stupid.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home