24 October 2005

Blood transfusion

I think I need a blood transfusion. I've been trying to shake the desire to get back into racing but it isn't working. I thought I could replace it with cycling or rock climbing but I just don't think its going to work.

Watching Initial D this weekend didn't help any either. I suppose I feel like it is one thing, perhaps the only thing, at which I am really any good. Karting was good to me, but my dad and I never explored the full range of possibilities and stopped doing it too soon. Seeing as how I was always funded by my dad, it wasn't really up to me what would be done about getting a new chassis or fresh race motor for national competition. When I did start working we were winding things down and I had started auto-crossing the RX-7, when I should have concentrated more on the karting. It had, unfortunately, gotten a little old at the time.

I'm thinking again now about getting back into racing, but I'm not sure at what degree. I'd like to race wheel to wheel and karting would be the biggest bang for the buck, but I'm not so sure I want to go that route again. Seeing as how I would like to explore other hobbies, such as rock climbing, I'm trying to avoid getting too caught up in racing again as it will eat all of my time and money, just as it did last year. My other option is to auto-cross the Nissan, and this can be done for as much or as little money as I might choose.

I could run in a stock class with R-compound tires and very little suspension modification, which might be the ideal solution. I had been considering a slew of suspenion modifications to bring the car up to snuff, but if I do that I'll be racing on street tires and the traction available will be quite a bit less inviting than what I can get from a set of race tires. Add to that the fact that I'll be blowing through street tires like there's no tomorrow, and the suck factor is compounded.

I've got plenty of time to think about this, change my mind and change it again. My primary reason for returning to racing is that I am truly happy when I'm doing it. I really enjoy the competition, the feeling of accomplishment I get from making the car perform and it always makes me feel at peace. Sounds nuts, but I'm more relaxed during a fast lap than I am at any other time. Complete focus, I suppose... So, how can I walk away from what I truly enjoy?

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home