18 October 2005

Eragon


So, I'm reading this book called Eragon. It has been awarded many dubious honors that range from Best Seller within New York Times, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal, as well as some Publisher's Guild award and some other stuff. With all this praise, one should expect to find a wonderously well written story and a novel that captivates the reader.

However, I'm finding this work to be nothing more than a combination of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and other various fantasy works already in publication.

Remember when your English teacher would rap yaour knuckles and yell at you for "saying it" instead of "showing it"? I've nearly finished this novel and can honestly say that Mr. Paolini would be dying of blood loss if his teacher had anything more than a flimsy rubber ruler.

Plot holes. There are more plot holes in this book than I can count on both hands. Truly, there are so many instances in this book when I cannot help but wonder how in the bloody hell I went from Point A to Point B. The main character can communicate with his dragon and other animals telepathically. That's cool, really. I'm cool with the telepathy thing. What I'm not cool with is him leanring how to do it and have perfectly natural conversations within 5 minutes of discovering he has this "ability". I don't know, maybe its silly to harp on such things but its almost as if the author didn't feel like squandering time with adversity.

Too many cliched characters. Too many familiar plot points. Too many plot holes.

And yet, I still enjoy reading it. Oh sure I fall asleep every time I read it, but I'm going to finish it and may end up reading book #2 (Eldest) as well.

1 Your Opinion:

At 17:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They could have used a more exciting or provacative cover illustration, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home