13 September 2005

A few more things

Through a co-worker in Denver, I've been put in touch with a gal that's new to the Dallas area and has had a considerable amount of trouble meeting/making new friends. I can relate to this after moving to Port Ludlow, Seattle, Burlington and Huntersville in my collegiate days. It isn't easy to go into a situation like that blind and meet people you having anything in common with or actually feel like hanging out with for any length of time. It doesn't help that she travels a lot but she does have a hobby or two so I'm sure she'll be fine in the long run.

A few other folks here at the office are trying to find ways to keep her time occupied but I'm thinking I've got a broad group of friends and might be able to help get her going. I sort of hate being in this situation though. We've got a new guy in the office that doesn't know anyone either and it has been difficult for me to warm up to him.

**********



Time: 5PM
Place: Blue Bonnet Bicycles
Expense: $550.00


I picked up the NRS-1 last night from Lance! I wanted to ride but had already planned on popping into the gym to torture my abs. I did not get to swim but really wish I had made the time after seeing a rather cute gal doing laps when I usually do... but I was inside doing abs. I have seen her before but not too much so I decided that next time I see her I'll make a point to talk to her.


Lee called me last night and wants to get together to ride at Arbor Hills. It is an easy trail with no need for a fully-suspended bike, but it should be fun. If the timing works out we'll ride there this week, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd really like to hit L.B. Houston since it is only a few minutes from the office, and Grapevine is on the way home if I work the roads right. I'll have plenty of places to ride and plenty of people to ride with in the off-road arena so I'm really looking forward to it!


The NRS-1 really kicks some serious ass, too. Man, this bike is damn cool. I'm sure it is on the heavy side but I'm not a die hard and I am looking for something to train on, so the weight is not a big deal to me. Whatever makes me stronger will be a good thing, essentially. I rode it last night on some mild urban assault duty and the bike performed well and felt pretty good. The only thing I want to change is the stem as I feel like it is sitting up a bit too much.


**********


I was recontacted yesterday by someone I had not really planned on hearing from in any real sense. She's sort of an old flame, but there's no heat left in the fire. She then became a friend of sorts but was never considerate or reliable enough to have any plans made without me feeling like she'd be less than flakey. So, not Miss Reliability but I have always wished it were the case.


The email was innocent enough, seeking information about some photos of New Orleans I had access to online... but I don't know. Something about the way the e-mail string was written or maybe the fact that she actually attempted some sort of dialogue via e-mail (rare for her). Whatever it was it had me questioning her motives again. She's not the type of woman that you can ever be sure you know what she's planning or scheming. She does not seem capable of knowing a guy without being physically involved with him at some point in time. The ultimate player, I suppose, but then acts as though she doesn't understand why guys don't respect her or remain friends with her for very long. She is, appropriately enough, a cunnundrum.


No real story here aside from my own curiosity about the situation. There's a lot of history to it that isn't worth revisiting.


**********


Tonight is the GDB ride and I'm convinced that I'll be able to hang on in the final sprint. I need to use my head more on the ride though. I'll do my work in the middle portion of the ride as we hit Coppell.

There's a good stretch of road I can open up on and pull the line for a good distance, then recover and hit it hard again on Beltline. If all goes well I'll run it out and be able to sit in for the rest of the ride, but keep myself close enough to the front to arrest or join any breaks. The final point being that I want to be properly placed for the final sprint up Welch before we get back to the REI lot.

It is harder than you think, timing these things properly, and I've been too much of a hothead to pay attention to the correct timing in the past... Still, I think I might have a handle on things tonight and will hopefully make the most of an opportunity to jump ahead.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home