01 November 2005

Byzantine and other acquisitions


I picked up an album from Byzantine last night before meeting up with Amber for a couple of Halloween beers at The Flying Saucer, but more on that relaxing & enjoyable time later.

Byzantine is a band I've been hearing about from Eric for some weeks, and I finally decided to go ahead and look for it at CD World in Addison. They are my music store of choice and it just so happened I was in the neighborhood and needed to burn some time. Recently the selection at CD World has been less than stellar, but luckily they had the album for which I was looking.

How does it sound? I'm not sure, actually. I only heard a couple of songs in the car before meeting with Amber, and then listened to it on the way home, but its hard to get a good feel for an album on the first go round. Based on what I have heard I do enjoy the 3rd track, Jeremiad, because of the way it employs a bit of screamcore before shifting into a melodic, clean vocal. Each track also employs a solo from one or both of the guitarists in the band, and these are welcome additions to a genre that has gotten away from technical solo jaunts.

So, for a tasty metal treat that will probably make most people wonder what I do in my spare time, give it a listen. Unforunately, Amazon doesn't have any tracks available online.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home