27 September 2005

Tree Dodging

As posted on the DORBA forum 09/26/05


Given the high winds and the notion that Rita was going to be raining small yaks on Dallas in the afternoon, I went back to LB Houston Saturday morning for another ride. Maybe I saw a few of you out there, maybe I didn't. At any rate, I hopped on the trail around 9:30 or 10AM and did 4 laps.

There were a variety of people at the trailhead, but I never managed to ride with anyone on the trail until my 2nd or third lap when I met some dude named Mike. Mike was a nice guy and I wanted to follow him, but he pulled over and let me pass too soon so I never got to learn anything. I think we rode the same pace the rest of the trail though because he was right there at the finish, I just never heard him on the trail. Mostly, I think, because I was too busy avoiding trees.

At any rate, I left for an hour or two to check the weather (high clouds, no thunderheads) and returned for an additional two laps before calling it a day. All said and done I enjoyed every minute of it, but my bunny hopping and log stomping skills are sub-par and I'm wondering where I can go that'll teach me some more technical know-how.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a tire pressure, tire traction or suspension thing but the front end kept washing out on the faster corners. It was nothing a quick correction couldn't handle but the trees seem to look thicker and less cuddly-soft when your tire makes slipping-sliding noises and tries to go play with the squirrels right when you are cranking through a corner. I was running about 45psi in tubeless Hutchison Pythons, if that means anything.

Oh, and when I was finishing up the rear cogset was rattling and seemed loose. I guess I just need to take a wrench to it but wondered if that was normal.


Forum Response

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home