05 October 2005

No surgery, not yet.

Went to see Dr. Royer yesterday and they took about six x-rays. Upon inspection I was informed that surgery should not be necessary, but we'd know more in ten days. Apparently, I have broken the bottom of my fibula and the back of my tibia. These bones form your lower leg as well as your ankle and having everything in the right place can be critical.

With all the swelling in my leg it could be that my joint is being held together by the excess fluid. So, we'll wait 10 days and take more x-rays... only this time I need to put weight on my foot. If my ankle does not shift, if the bones do not give and if everything is as it should be I'll be good to go and on my way to a healthy recovery.

If, however, my ankle bends or flexes as it should not and I have movement in the bones... we'll need to go in with a plate and screws. I'd much prefer to avoid surgery, though I had already resigned myself to it before getting to his office. With luck, everything will stay were it should.

The plate would, if installed, e about 4 inches long and incorporate screws into the good bone as well as screws in the broken bit. The plate would support the bone so that it will grow back together properly and allow me to have normal movement, agility and strength in my ankle. As it stands, climbing and cycling are still very much a part of my future.

0 Your Opinion:

Post a Comment

<< Home